Friday, October 5, 2012

What? It's October already??

  Fall is upon us and I have no idea where the summer went.  Getting a good handle on time is like trying to grasp fog with your bare hands.  It's just not going to happen.  A busy summer with little mini-vacations and entertaining two children at home all day has now turned into a busy fall filled with preschool, 1st grade, tae kwon do, and soccer for the kids.   Jon has busied himself with work and helping out as an assistant coach for Luke's soccer team.  I still work part-time, am deeply involved in our burgeoning Sunday School program, and have just signed on as secretary for our school's PTA board.  Yikes!
Luke and his buddy Noah on the soccer field

  Through all of this, I have maintained my marathon training, strength training, and yoga routines.  Not only because I love doing it but because I have to.  My next race is the 2012 Baltimore Marathon.  And a lot of people seem to always ask me the same question--"I don't know how you have the energy to do all of that."  I always respond with "Yeah, neither do I."  But the truth of the matter is I need to exercise.  Those long runs on the weekend that take me 3+ hours to do?  I'm a much better person to be around after running those 14 or 18 miles than if I didn't.  Just ask my husband...or dare to be around me when I've had no exercise.  (Really, I dare you...)

  And I need that block of time where all I focus on is moving my body and being with my own thoughts.  Yesterday, I had a run where it was just me, the open road, and the Avett Brothers on my iPhone keeping me company.  The headache I'd woken up with had faded to the background while my feet hit the pavement.  And, regardless if I'm running solo or with friends, my surroundings can usually soothe my soul and clear my head as the blood flows through my body and my muscles start to wake up.

One of my favorite views that makes my soul smile on my Saturday runs.  
  Now, usually, I can have a thoroughly enjoyable workout.  But sometimes you just have those days where working out is an absolute chore.  Yet no matter how I feel, I finish.    Putting my body in motion and slowly pushing it to new limits proves to me that I will survive anything--mentally, physically, emotionally.  There was as much joy and elation in crossing the finish line at the 2012 Virginia Beach Rock 'N' Roll 13.1 in the nastiest humidity known to mankind (74 degrees with 92% humidity-yuck!)...

Smiling because I finished!


... as there was when crossing the line at the Richmond Color Run 5K with my body and face covered in a rainbow of colors.

All colored up with my friend, Lyn

  On one hand, I was excited to finish the Virginia Beach 13.1 simply because I survived that race.  One cannot run in that kind of weather without having some kind of doubt as to whether or not you can  make it to the end.  But there was joy in finishing the Color Run because it was just some good ol' plain fun!  Two very different races but both further fueled my desire to run.  Why?  Because no matter what the distance or the environment on any given run or workout, to finish is to be empowered by what you can accomplish.  

  As I look to my next marathon in 8 days, this is the approach that not only applies to that race or future races, but how I endure the daily grind of life in general.   I can choose to let challenges block my way or I can choose to meet that challenge head-on and survive.  I choose to survive.  Soccer, PTA, work, outdoor CrossFit workouts in 87% humidity, 26.2 miles--bring it!
   

  

No comments:

Post a Comment